I took a little time today to take a closer look at the documents I received from the City yesterday in response to our records request. You remember? The reams that I estimated to be around two thousand pages? As it turns out there were a lot of duplicates. There is also a lot of information from other sources, like articles from the N&R, The Jerry Bledsoe series Cops in Black & White, Volumes 1 - 27, copies of N&R columns by Ed Cone and David Hoggard and a blog post by Joe Guarino (a party to the records request) with an unattributed, "Came across this -- Have you seen?" scrawled across the top.
Also included are numerous previously released press releases and public statements, relevant, but not new. There are also several emails sent to city council expressing displeasure with Wray's dismissal and materials regarding the accreditation of the Police Academy.
The bottom line is that what originally appeared to be a volume of information that would benefit from a group effort to read and analyze, is not so. The vast bulk of our request still remains unfulfilled. However, I was promised at our meeting yesterday that those remaining areas would be fulfilled or addressed by next Friday. I'll keep you posted.
Why am I not surprised by this? I was going to comment yesterday that maybe you should take a quick look thru and see if the pages weren't about building bridges in Outer Mongolia. BB
ReplyDeleteRoch I am really enjoying your blog. I feel confident that I can trust any information you provide. Did I tell you yet how happy I am to see you blogging? It is my second stop, Joe is first. BB
The arrogance is astounding. Keep up the pressure Roch. Illegitimis nil carborundum. In his ordo est ordinem non servare.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Brenda.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous, you're going to have to help me out, I'm translating as "No fake bacon. He was served the wrong order."
I wonder if the reason for the duplication is obfuscation, as Billy has suggested, or is the result of disorganization. If it's the latter, then I guess it's our taxpayer dollars that are paying for the paper.
ReplyDeleteI don't know, Doug. It didn't take me too long to start asking myself, "Didn't I see that previously?" Which I would have expected to occur to a person collating these records. However, if more than one person was working on the request, it may be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right was doing.
ReplyDeleteRegardless, the bottom line is that the response was less than it appeared.
Something like "In this case the only rule is not obeying any rules".
ReplyDelete