Friday, June 24, 2011

Can inferiority drive a business model?

I read this today on Capital Beat, News & Record reporter Mark Binker's blog, when it popped up as a recommended item on Greensboro 101.
This is the bill pushed by the Triad delegation on behalf of a local retired business magnate who thinks high school kids aren’t learning what they need about civics in high school.
That prompted the following email exchange:
Me: Hi Mark,

Who is the "local retired business magnate who thinks high school kids aren’t learning what they need about civics in high school?"

Mark:  Gee, Roch, if you were a print subscriber you'd know.

P.S. David Stedman.

Me: Do your online advertisers know you taunt your online readers for accessing an admittedly inferior version of your product?

Mark:  I have no idea. I've never been one to worry about advertisers.

What I DO know is that you are someone who frequently writes to ask questions that are already asked and answered in a product that you refuse to buy.

Me: I think you are a little old fashion if you are acutely aware of subscribers as revenue but unconcerned with online advertising.
"Would you like to buy an ad on our website, ma'am? We try to steer people away from it, taunt them for using it and in various and sundry other ways make it less inviting so, whaduya say?"

Round II

2 comments:

  1. I can suffer jerks, what with being one myself and Binker's assholishness gets mitigated a lot by his good reporting, but his anger on this matter is completely misdirected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's probably not yet finished with this morning's case of Krispy Kremes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...