The (Greensboro, NC) News & Record published my guest column yesterday (on the front of the ideas section, even). Many thanks to editorial page editor Allen Johnson for the opportunity.
I once tried to impart my excitement about a then-young Internet to a local executive. "Why do I need e-mail when I have a fax machine?" he asked. That was 1995. The first Web browser had just been invented, Internet access was one one-hundredth of today's speeds and Google was still three years away from launching its search engine.
Nearly everything we know as the Internet today -- online stock trading, social networks, mobile phone apps, YouTube -- happened since that conversation. While it may not have been crystal clear in 1995 what was coming, it was obvious that tremendous opportunities were to unfold.
Greensboro did not capitalize on those opportunities particularly well.
We now have a remarkable second chance.
Continue reading "
Greensboro plus Google makes sense."
Roch,
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to take a moment to thank you for all the effort you have put into bringing Google to Greensboro. From the very beginning, you have been a driving force in this initiative and I appreciate your commitment.
Best regards,
Danny Thompson
City Council At Large