I attended the forum because I was undecided on at-large candidates. I was eager to hear Cornell tell us his views on economics, solutions to the landfill issue, and solutions to the problem with the police department. But, I'm afraid he doesn't have much to say other than "unite against the system." Nothing wrong with being an activist, but I don't want this guy voting on important issues that he doesn't even pretend to care about. His website says that his campaign will extend beyond "uniting brown and black against the system", but I just don't see it. Plus, his publicity stunt downtown reminds me of when I was 16, and if I could go back in time to visit me when I was 16, I'd kick my own butt for some of the knuckleheaded things I said and did.
Thanks for your insight, Brandon. I posted the video because it is something where two of my interests, local politics and new media, meet. People can evaluate Jorge's message for what it is, my message is that some candidates are using new media to get their message out and others are invisible -- sadly, by misguided intention in most cases.
I will not be surprised if someone who ignored new media goes to bed on October 6th thinking, "I was sure I'd make it through the primary, how did that no-name so-and-so beat me?"
Cornell does a lot more than focus on uniting black and brown. In the forum (which I was at) he said he was against reopening the White Street landfill, for subpeona power over the police department, against firing the old City Manager, and took a couple other stands. If you're annoyed that he talked about black and brown unity, then first you should notice that he was ASKED by the moderators to talk about it, and no other candidate was. Second, what's wrong with decreasing racial tensions? Do you not see how that affects so many other aspects of our lives?
If you actually look at his website (www.cornellforcouncil.wordpress.com) you'd see he's taking a stand against homophobia, he wants better parks in poor communities, wants more youth programs, etc. I mean even if you don't know much about his campaign it's clear he's addressing a variety of issues.
Roch, it does bother me that two candidates I am supporting do not have the name recognition or presence around town as some others, because I feel they both have tangible ideas, as opposed to nice words that make people feel good. I am speaking about Dan Fischer and Danny Thompson.
Thompson is the only candidate at the forum who didn't dance around the landfill question; he expressed ideas and intention to move Greensboro forward as far as the trash issue goes. Fischer has expressed to me through email that while he supports keeping the landfill closed to city trash, that he believes we can be making money off of the methane produced there. I feel this could be used to offset the cost of hauling our trash elsewhere while a permanent solution is being worked out.
Fischer is also the only candidate who goes beyond "we need to help our youth" by detailing programs he has in mind for youth of all ages. Real programs that make a difference such as Jobcorps and mentoring programs.
When asked about the landfill issue, what did Cornell propose we do to remedy our trash situation?
Even though I have been arrested by the gang unit myself, I still recognize the positive effect they have had on my neighborhood. Ryan Shell is the only candidate who addresses this issue in a logical way: If there is a concern, investigate it. If the unit proves to be largely ineffective and a waste of time, money and manpower, then we need to can it. Otherwise, if it aint broke, don't try to fix it. I'd like to add that while the police's charges against Cornell have not stuck, none of the claims Cornell has made have involved charges or convictions against the department.
Why doesn't Cornell want to unite blacks, browns AND whites as one body, one soul, one mind, one heart? Why does my race always get excluded from his vision?
Anon, Cornell said that it was wrong to fire the city manager because people who stand up for people of color get kicked around all the time. He feels that Mitch Johnson was trying to uplift the minorities in Greensboro by misleading the press, the council, and the entire city, as well as possibly lying under oath. He feels that it is empowering to minorities that the city has not come clean about the racially charged black book incident. I can totally understand Cornell's stance on this, I just disagree with it. Birds of a feather flock together.
I attended the forum because I was undecided on at-large candidates. I was eager to hear Cornell tell us his views on economics, solutions to the landfill issue, and solutions to the problem with the police department. But, I'm afraid he doesn't have much to say other than "unite against the system." Nothing wrong with being an activist, but I don't want this guy voting on important issues that he doesn't even pretend to care about. His website says that his campaign will extend beyond "uniting brown and black against the system", but I just don't see it. Plus, his publicity stunt downtown reminds me of when I was 16, and if I could go back in time to visit me when I was 16, I'd kick my own butt for some of the knuckleheaded things I said and did.
ReplyDelete--Brandon Burgess
Thanks for your insight, Brandon. I posted the video because it is something where two of my interests, local politics and new media, meet. People can evaluate Jorge's message for what it is, my message is that some candidates are using new media to get their message out and others are invisible -- sadly, by misguided intention in most cases.
ReplyDeleteI will not be surprised if someone who ignored new media goes to bed on October 6th thinking, "I was sure I'd make it through the primary, how did that no-name so-and-so beat me?"
Cornell does a lot more than focus on uniting black and brown. In the forum (which I was at) he said he was against reopening the White Street landfill, for subpeona power over the police department, against firing the old City Manager, and took a couple other stands. If you're annoyed that he talked about black and brown unity, then first you should notice that he was ASKED by the moderators to talk about it, and no other candidate was. Second, what's wrong with decreasing racial tensions? Do you not see how that affects so many other aspects of our lives?
ReplyDeleteIf you actually look at his website (www.cornellforcouncil.wordpress.com) you'd see he's taking a stand against homophobia, he wants better parks in poor communities, wants more youth programs, etc. I mean even if you don't know much about his campaign it's clear he's addressing a variety of issues.
"against firing the old City Manager"
ReplyDeleteDoes he say why?
Roch, it does bother me that two candidates I am supporting do not have the name recognition or presence around town as some others, because I feel they both have tangible ideas, as opposed to nice words that make people feel good. I am speaking about Dan Fischer and Danny Thompson.
ReplyDeleteThompson is the only candidate at the forum who didn't dance around the landfill question; he expressed ideas and intention to move Greensboro forward as far as the trash issue goes. Fischer has expressed to me through email that while he supports keeping the landfill closed to city trash, that he believes we can be making money off of the methane produced there. I feel this could be used to offset the cost of hauling our trash elsewhere while a permanent solution is being worked out.
Fischer is also the only candidate who goes beyond "we need to help our youth" by detailing programs he has in mind for youth of all ages. Real programs that make a difference such as Jobcorps and mentoring programs.
When asked about the landfill issue, what did Cornell propose we do to remedy our trash situation?
Even though I have been arrested by the gang unit myself, I still recognize the positive effect they have had on my neighborhood. Ryan Shell is the only candidate who addresses this issue in a logical way: If there is a concern, investigate it. If the unit proves to be largely ineffective and a waste of time, money and manpower, then we need to can it. Otherwise, if it aint broke, don't try to fix it. I'd like to add that while the police's charges against Cornell have not stuck, none of the claims Cornell has made have involved charges or convictions against the department.
Why doesn't Cornell want to unite blacks, browns AND whites as one body, one soul, one mind, one heart? Why does my race always get excluded from his vision?
Anon, Cornell said that it was wrong to fire the city manager because people who stand up for people of color get kicked around all the time. He feels that Mitch Johnson was trying to uplift the minorities in Greensboro by misleading the press, the council, and the entire city, as well as possibly lying under oath. He feels that it is empowering to minorities that the city has not come clean about the racially charged black book incident. I can totally understand Cornell's stance on this, I just disagree with it. Birds of a feather flock together.
--Brandon Burgess
Does Cornell have a day job, or does being a community inca-nizer pay the bills?
ReplyDelete