Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Do I have this right? Taxpayer money spent on private property?

Fox 8 is reporting this morning that Greensboro Parks and Recreation has installed cameras a camera to monitor the infamous Greenway benches.

According to the Guilford County Geographic Information Data Viewer, the benches are on property owned by Greensboro College. If that is correct, I have to ask: Is it appropriate for the taxpayers to fund equipment installations on private property?



I have made a public records request of the Greensboro Public Affairs office to view the pictures taken by this camera.

[Update: Greensboro College granted an easement to the City of Greensboro in June of 2008. Documented here.]
.

3 comments:

  1. Roch, posting in my capacity of Director of External Relations for Greensboro College, I checked with Susan Sessler, GC's vice president for business, who did some checking of her own and determined that the pole on which the camera is mounted is within the Greenway right-of-way.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction, for the benefit of readers other than Roch: As Roch and I discussed, it's within an easement, not a right-of-way, but the bottom line is that the city does have the legal right to mount the camera there. Roch has obtained a copy of the easement agreement.

    If anyone has any other questions about the college's role in this issue, please call me at 272-7102, x398, or e-mail lex.alexander@greensborocollege.edu. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lex is correct. I had mentioned the easement in a subsequent post, but I've added it to this one too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...