Thursday, September 17, 2009

Talking to dad about the elections

I'd like to think it is because he repects my opinion, but even if it's just to give us something to talk about, that's okay too. Either way, my dad always asks for my thoughts about municipal elections. He asked about the upcoming primaries today. I'll keep the conversation private, but one thing that occured to me is that we have the best slate of candidates I've seen in over a decade.

That's not to disparage anybody who has run in the past, but this year we have an exciting breadth of attributes and qualifications among the candidates that we simply have not had in a while -- if ever. It is going to be damn difficult to narrow down the at-large candidates to only three. We are fortunate to have that kind of dilema. If you want to see what I am talking about, check out the News & Record's Amanda Lehmert's most excellent collection of elction and candidate information.

15 comments:

  1. "this year we have an exciting breadth of attributes and qualifications among the candidates that we simply have not had in a while"

    There is only one choice in Dist 1! The man of the hour. A tower of power, too sweet to be sour! There is only one selection..the reflection of perfection..While Charles, Dianne, Luther and Darren are n the back laughin' and jokin', I'm out in front cookin and smokin...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!

    --Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warnersville resident is calling you BULLCRAP and in your dreams sucka!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EDWARD BRUCE KEOHOHOU11:54 AM, September 19, 2009

    Hey, Roch!

    Gee, interesting respondents.

    Let's see. I want to start with the slate of At-Large candidates, and my take on these candidates. Bearing in mind, this is my own assessment, and opine views.

    I'm going to start off withh...ABUZUAITER. I've known Marikay for years, through my work in the food and hospitality industry. I like Marikay, I voted for her in 2007, and have alredy voted for her in 2009. If she can operate a restaurant with a sanitation grade of a 101.5 to a 102, grade of excellence. Can you imagine what she can and will do for this city. As a small business owner, and an active person on Boards and Commissions, for this city. She invokes a strong spirit of diversity, not only of ethnicity, but of thought and concern for all. I hope you and others will see her as a force to make the changes that need to be changed, rather than looking the other way. Marikay, makes things happen, and get results. Let's look at ANDERSON-GROAT. Sandra, the builder. She committed most of her professional life in building affordable homes for those who sought the American dream. Knowing Sandra, for many years, she looks at every issue that comes before the council as a challenge, and not a hinderance. She has my vote as well. PERKINS, Robbie Perkins. Some people consider him, the self made man. Cool. His demeanor on the council dais, relegates him as an offical's official. Get into a one-to-one conversation, he either makes you feel like you're wasting his time, or he just doesn't want to associate with you, because you're not inclusive of his world.
    We can't leave out CORNELL. Jorge Cornell. Latino candidate with a Scottish surname. Because he was adopted. I told him that I could not and would not support him for any elected office, due to his gangsta demeamor and his association/affiliation with the Pulpit Forum. The bullying pulpt and spokespersons for the African Americans, that seeks racial discriminatory appeasement, through the media, and through intimidation of rhetoric that doesn't correlate with civility, that promotes racial segregation of thought. Let's look at ambition with a cause and affect. The name SHELL, comes to mind. Ryan, has strengths and visions that needs to be implemented in the mainstream. His community involvement is unwavered. Regardless of his switching political affiliations during the election, that his right. How he did it, and why he did it. That's on him. I would give him the nod, for his convictions of thought, by not selfish with his demeanor.

    As for the other candidates. I don't know them, of them, and haven't heard of them until now. I know they're sincere about serving this community, but do they have the knack to pull it off.

    We'll see come October 6th, of who will make to the final three in November.

    I'm going to cut this short, and start anew, with the district candidates. So......here I go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EDWARD BRUCE KEOHOHOU12:33 PM, September 19, 2009

    Oh, I forgot about VAUGHAN..Nancy Barakat (Mincello) Vaughn. Been there done that, and will probably be a front runner in the primary because of her roots in the affluent neighborhoods. Having hubby as a attorney and State Senator, one would think, what's up in the Vaughan household. Remember when it was Mincello, and Vaughan on the City Council? Hmmm.
    We'll see what happens.

    The districts!!! Of course we got to start off with District One. the contenders (the true contenders, because the others I don't see as viable movers and shakers)...TDBS aka T. Dianne Bellamy-Smalls. I was "accused" on a blog, The Troublemaker, where a contributor, stated, that he "knows how much I "hate", TDBS.
    I don't hate her. I despise her.
    When Earl Jones lost his seat to Blevins Jessup back in the 2001 elections, the district couldn't afford another "sleeper." So, they sought and got TDBS. She campaigned well, strong support base within the district. But then, all of sudden, she transfixed herself as the heir of District One, as the "Nubian Queen" for the African Americans, holding court at Stephanie's II. Her demeanor on council events showed arrogance and discontent. Her conduct of overbearingess was relentless, in the eyes of many. She alienated and lost many of her supporters, and some of us, even pushed for the recall in 2007. We've given her two terms to make a difference, and we haven't seen any changes in the district. Just rhetoric. The district under her representation has not seen any economic growth and development. Unless, you consider Harris Teeter moving out, and Fred's and Aldi's an indication of economic growth. I can share with you stories, but too much to tell. One of these days when I'm at the FlatIron, and run into you, I'll share those stories. And these are not exaggerated stories. These are documented events. Moving on to other interesting candidates...HOLDER. Ben Holder. You either hate him or love him. I, on the other hand, enjoy his "participation" in the roundtable of events. He brings to all of us explicitness, no holds bar attitude. We need that to bring us back to reality. Which this district needs badly.
    COFFEY... active in the community, especially the Lee Street/High Point Road Corridor Redevelopment. A concensus observer and strong hold for the small business people. Consider him as a strong and viable candidate.

    DISTRICT TWO: VOTE NETTIE COAD!!
    DISTRICT FOUR: VOTE JOEL LANDAU!!
    DISTRICT FIVE: VOTE TRUDY WADE!!

    Now...District Three. That's a whole different story. MATHENY..
    Zack Matheny. Bryan Foundation (Jim Melvins' protege), which Matheny would not admit. Served well on boards and commissions. How and what he did, is up to those who had served with him, and for those who went before him on the Zoning Board. HARTZMAN...a diehard Reaganite. OVITORRE, Jay won't let things slide. He's going to hold special interests groups accountable, as well as the city staff, and will work hard to strengthen civility on the council.

    Well, that's all I've got for now. Primary is Oct. 6, and we'll see how all pan's out. Process of elimination. That's all it is.

    Hope to see you at the upcoming forum on Sept. 22, at the Historical Museum.

    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments, Ed. I agree on some, disagree on others -- long live democracy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. EDWARD BRUCE KEOHOHOU1:12 PM, September 19, 2009

    This is why I am a proud American. I can believe in those who see the dream, and make it happen, or be strangled by the nightmare of a sleepless rest.

    We will always disagree in points of view. That's what makes us individuals with conscientious thought.

    Let me ask you a question...Do you think that the City Council, has progressed in their efforts of diversity? Not necessarily ethnic wise, but with economic structures for growth, and other current issues that the city faces. Of course, it will come back to ethnicity, but let's look at the strong hold of economics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure by what measure you want us to evaluate economic diversity. As you point out, a new grocery store in a previously neglected neighborhood is progress, but it is hardly an economic force.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why Nettie Coad? Hasn't she taken Cornell under her wing? I emailed the Kee camp with some questions and never got a response. I like Fischer and Hester but I don't think Hester has got what it takes. He doesn't come off as a people person in his emails. The landfill is a big issue in my district and Hester and Fischer both pledged an open mind. I dont know about Kee and I couldn't find an email addy for Coad, just some pics of her and Cornell.

    --Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish more African Americans in Greensboro would visit the local blogs. The commenters will give them a different perspectative of people they thought they knew.
    I now know what is really behind someone's mind when I am having a conversation with them. I will just go back to the comments they made on someone's blog.And some of it is not pretty.
    My visits have been very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't have to read my blog comments to find out where I stand. I am quite open to sitting on the front porch with a couple of cups of coffee and neigbhors and discussing city council candidates. I'm just asking why Coad? Why not Fischer or Hester? I can't think of any candidate that I would agree with on everything, but I appreciate an open mind in a candidate, and Fischer and Hester have demonstrated that to me. Judging by the crowd Coad keeps, such as Cornell and his supporters like Nelson Johnson and the Latin Kings, I am afraid it would be same old, same old for D2 if she were elected. I could be wrong, but I have been unable to establish contact with her and Jim Kee, who hasn't even responded to email. I said Hester doesn't come off as a people person in his emails because his responses to my short, two question email regarding economic growth in D2 and the White St. Landfill were one liners with no substance, no ideas. He did offer to sit down and talk one day, which is nice. Dan Fischer was very open with his ideas for D2. Both candidates left a lot of wiggle room on the Landfill issue, which to me, is better than "No discussion, EVER, case closed!". I'm sick of that kind of talk. A non-response to my concerns and/or innaccessibility is a complete turnoff. I'm not voting for someone who ignores me or doesn't care about my view.

    --Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry to hear Jim Kee ignored your email. I like him, but if he is not responsive, perhaps he is not the right guy for city council.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So I'm back. Turns out I haven't emailed Kee. I couldn't find an email address for him either. Though, his website makes clear how he feels about the landfill, I'd still like to hear his ideas about economic growth in D2.

    --Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for making the effort to clear that up, Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really hard for me to get past Coad's association with Cornell because I do take into consideration the company that a candidate keeps.

    Both Hester and Fischer are open to ideas about what to do with the landfill and both said they would like to research whether the landfill is in fact causing cancer and that the health of the residents in D2 would be the top priority.

    Jim Kee and Nettie Coad have both closed their minds to ideas about the landfill and offer no solutions to the problem of "what do we do with our trash?", and neither have expressed any willingness to look into whether or not the landfill is actually deadly. Kee has stated "we cannot allow it's reopening." If there are no health issues, and there is money to be saved and revenue to be generated from by products, then I ask, why not? Goldie Wells has even suggested that it is a racial issue, asking why we don't build another landfill in a neighborhood that isn't predominantly black and I wonder if any of the candidates hold that view.

    --Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...