The Bargain Blog says that Piedmont Triad International Airport has started a new "digital advertising campaign" to promote low fares and convince us that flights from PTI are often cheaper than from Charlotte or Raleigh.
This was the fare advertised today.
The ad takes one to the Delta web site where there is no $218 flight, but simply the form to search for fares. After several configurations of dates for GSO to CUN, the actual lowest fare offered was, one-stop (Atlanta) $468.83.
Hmm.
Orbitz offers sixty-three flights on those days, from GSO to CUN, each cheaper than PTI/Delta's "Low fare," the cheapest, $298.00 on Continental.
And, as for PTI's intention for this promotion to convince us that flights from PTI are often cheaper than neighboring airports, Orbitz offers the same travel dates from Raleigh Durham, one-stop, for $218 total and from Charlotte, non-stop, for $446 total.
If one is going to launch a digital advertising campaign, one should have some idea of how people shop digitally.

nice pick up and did the bargain blog try it out to make sure it was valid?
ReplyDeleteThis is a bit off topic, but did you catch the promotion the GSO Coliseum did via Twitter? Pretty creative idea they came up with.
ReplyDeleteRyan
Hey Roch,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the mention. This would have also been good to include as a comment on my blog because it would have addressed the last part I wrote, which was a question as to whether this was the real deal. That wasn't a rhetorical question.
Plus you get some extra exposure to your blog from readers of my blog who may not know you.
Not sure why you chose not to comment on my blog, but won't make any assumptions because I don't know you.
But I promise I'll do the same for you (heck, I want the added exposure, so of course I'll respond to any of your blog posts on your blog, not mine).
Maybe you had trouble registering? If that's the case, call me - 336-373-3465 or shoot me an e-mail - michael.fuchs@news-record.com.
No hard feelings.
Thanks again for the mention!
Mike Fuchs
http://www.news-record.com/blog/bargainblog
Mike, nothing personal. In fact, I'm a fan. I used to comment on the N&R blogs all the time, before they started requiring registration which I do not want to do because:
ReplyDelete1. It is a hassle
2. The personal information they request strongly suggests an attempt to profile for marketing purposes.
3. The N&R uses third party ad services that employ tracking cookies which, if linked to my registration information, can provide those companies the ability to build a profile of my activities across the web.
4. N&R does not adhere to its own terms & conditions regarding the handling of personal data.
Why can I not comment without registering?
Bottom line is if they want to promote PTI, they need to fly places people want to go... I'd gladly pay a few extra dollars to fly out GSO, and I have done so in the past because it's close, and comfortable to me.... Sadly though.... I can't even route my RDU flights through PTI to save the drive without incurring huge costs. This is where our local governments should step in, and if a flight is offered out of RDU or CLT and we have that airline here, it be offered with a connecting flight from GSO for the same price. I'd gladly fly from GSO to RDU then reboard rather then spend 2 hours in traffic trying to make my flight....
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, since nothing will ever change... RDU has a lovely airport... thank god someone does.