"As first reported on Doug Clark's blog, Greensboro attorney and blogger Sam Spagnola is considering taking on Guilford County Commissioner Linda Shaw in the Republican Primary for District 3."
In this particular instance I was using "first" as in "previous to this mention" or "reported previously on this site."
But now that I think about it, it is an interesting question of terminology.
I wouldn't have said "as first announced on Doug Clark's blog," but he's the first one I'm aware of to report it to an audience beyond the one Sam addresses on his blog -- which judging from the comments is small and ideologically pretty uniform.
It may be that because I'm a journalist I consider someone to have reported something only if they had to go beyond their own head to do it.
That's not necessarily the way everyone uses it, though.
When I blogged back in college and a reporter would occasionally pick something up on my blog -- something about me or what I was doing, that is -- I didn't consider that I had reported the story on it, but that I'd announced something about me personally, which allowed others to report it.
It does get a little murky when it's blogs talking about things on blogs, I suppose. I have done reporting on my blog -- but I wouldn't consider me talking about my own personal life "reporting."
Well, it may be a bit of an esoteric exercise in examining the meaning of "reporting." Consider, if you "blog" on the Inside Scoop that you are going to write a book about Greensboro politics, have you reported it or do I become the first to report it if I am the first to repeat it?
Not picking on you, Joe. You are one of the best things the N&R has going on.
I didn't feel picked on -- and thanks for the compliment.
I was just musing on how I use that word and how others use that word. It will make me think about how I use it from here on out. I've just been separating my personal blogging and my reporting for so long I don't think about it much.
If I get in, I promise I will give Joe the "first" interview. That is assuming he returns my call first. I read Linda Shaw's comment in Joe's piece on Friday and will respond if I do it.
In this particular instance I was using "first" as in "previous to this mention" or "reported previously on this site."
ReplyDeleteBut now that I think about it, it is an interesting question of terminology.
I wouldn't have said "as first announced on Doug Clark's blog," but he's the first one I'm aware of to report it to an audience beyond the one Sam addresses on his blog -- which judging from the comments is small and ideologically pretty uniform.
It may be that because I'm a journalist I consider someone to have reported something only if they had to go beyond their own head to do it.
That's not necessarily the way everyone uses it, though.
When I blogged back in college and a reporter would occasionally pick something up on my blog -- something about me or what I was doing, that is -- I didn't consider that I had reported the story on it, but that I'd announced something about me personally, which allowed others to report it.
It does get a little murky when it's blogs talking about things on blogs, I suppose. I have done reporting on my blog -- but I wouldn't consider me talking about my own personal life "reporting."
Well, it may be a bit of an esoteric exercise in examining the meaning of "reporting." Consider, if you "blog" on the Inside Scoop that you are going to write a book about Greensboro politics, have you reported it or do I become the first to report it if I am the first to repeat it?
ReplyDeleteNot picking on you, Joe. You are one of the best things the N&R has going on.
I didn't feel picked on -- and thanks for the compliment.
ReplyDeleteI was just musing on how I use that word and how others use that word. It will make me think about how I use it from here on out. I've just been separating my personal blogging and my reporting for so long I don't think about it much.
If I get in, I promise I will give Joe the "first" interview. That is assuming he returns my call first. I read Linda Shaw's comment in Joe's piece on Friday and will respond if I do it.
ReplyDeleteSam:
ReplyDeleteTried to reach you by e-mail and phone Thursday and Friday. Didn't have any luck - but you could have been in court.
Would be glad to talk to you if you decide to get into it.