Friday, May 06, 2011

On the Greensboro City Attorney's qualifications to practice law in NC

GREENSBORO, NC -- Last week, I commented that North Carolina state law prohibits people from practicing law in the state without passing the Bar exam. That lead me to wonder how the newly-hired City Attorney Rita Danish, a lawyer from Ohio who is not yet licensed to practice law in North Carolina could be giving legal advice to City Council members.

While I got some emails about it, everyone talked around the issue, no one offering a definitive explanation of why Ms. Danish's actions were not contrary to the prohibitions of state law. So I asked Frayda Bluestein, professor of public law and government at the UNC School of Government -- who, as I've told her, makes a great contribution to our civic well-being and the health of our democracy by willingly answering questions like this from people she doesn't know.

She cited the North Carolina Bar rules, which say that a lawyer not licensed in North Carolina may indeed "provide legal services to the lawyer's employer or its organizational affiliates." There are some circumstances, like a trial,  that require the approval of a judge, but not the kind of activities in which Ms. Danish is engaged: providing services to her employer, which she is perfectly able to do.

Much thanks to Dr. Bluestein for the information

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, all these "lawyers" bouncing around these threads and none seem to be able to answer a simple question.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...