Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Iannis Xenakis

When I was in college, I spent a lot of time in the Western Carolina University library by my own volition. I liked being there. Built shortly before my arrival, it had a state-of-the-art media section that included a listening lab, complete with stereophonic cassette players and high quality headphones. (Really, I'm not that old, we've just come a long way quickly).

Among the great things that library filled my head with was the music of Iannis Xenakis. Here are two of his compositions Pithoprakta and Thallein. More here and here.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks. I had never heard of Xenakis until now but I will certainly check out more from him.

    From Wikipedia: "Xenakis pioneered the use of mathematical models such as applications of set theory...in music"

    Love it. Have you heard Karlheinz Stockhausen? I learned of him from reading about how much he influenced Miles Davis around the time he was recording "On the Corner", one of my favorite recordings.

    -Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon, I just read of Stockhausen recently, in the same book that reminded me of Xenakis. I'll have to check him out. The book describes one of his compositions that involved the performers fasting for four days prior. I'll have to check out "On the Corner" too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...