"Now Greensboro has reached the Orwellian stage where the lie is truth, and truth a lie. At this point, the lie prevails."Jerry Bledsoe cuts to the cold hard truth about what Greensboro's "leaders" have allowed this city to become in "The City of the Lie."
The people in positions of power and leadership in this city (Jerry calls many of them out) used to seem big to me -- a little larger than life -- as if they had some things about the world figured out that I hadn't quite grasped yet. I no longer have that opinion of most of them.
What I see now is that their claims of love for this city and to want what's best for Greensboro all too easily yield to petty personal grudges, fear of embarrassment and a desire to avoid confrontation or complicated thinking.
I wish I could give the leaders of our new found idicoracy a good shake with a "Snap out of it." Awake. Be as big as others once thought you to be. Stand tall and stand up. The pretending, the sleepwalking, the genteel ignorance may be comforting to you, but they do not well serve Greensboro. You underestimate your fellow citizens if you do not understand that your fate is irrelevance if you insist on rooting yourselves in the swamp of mediocrity and mendacity.
Roch,
ReplyDeleteWhen I read the Bledose article at lunch yesterday, especially the idea of "The City of the Lie" (Taken from M. Scott Peck's "The People of the Lie"?), I must admit I found myself saying "Yes, that's it, the core of the dysfunction." It's not a conservative-liberal thing or a white-black thing, but a power mongering thing. Being an outsider looking in for twenty years I keep seeing this over and over and over, and I think Bledsoe nailed it. I say that with sadness; I wish it weren't true. I think that it is. A few weeks ago I was tying to describe my experience with Greensboro to a friend in another city, someone I go back with a long way, and what I said was "it is a city of little people." I didn't mean the common people, but the entrenched leadership. They're just small, petty, dumb people to me, at least with their "leader" mantles on. There is a deep lack of gravitas, integrity, weightiness, honor, respect-worthiness. These things have to lived out and earned. I wish you could shake it out of them. I'll pull for you on that.
" it is a city of little people " as Joel describes. I would add " with enormous egos and small brains, blinded by political correctness".
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame Bledsoe stumbles upon a righteous issue after all this time. Unfortunately. he's been crying Wolf far too long for me to care.
ReplyDeleteA lot of crying wolf going on, Fec. Not sure you are attributing it to the proper parties though.
ReplyDeleteJoel, you said it well. Sadly, I am in agreement.
you can also add the ridiculous part of Greensboro still wanting to change state law in regards to Protest Petitions for greensboro. THey looked very silly wanting a compromise a day before the city council meeting on the 21st and they had well over a year to think about it. Now as you can see our state legislators saw through all the bs and filed a bill to give the rights to the citizens of Greensboro like every other city. It still showed me that they wanted to play nice with the TREBIC CARTEL but saw the writing on the wall that if they were opposed to this bill then it would have been political suicide come fall. It still can be if they want to delay this process.
ReplyDeleteRoch where have you been lately on protest petitions?
"Roch where have you been lately on protest petitions?"
ReplyDeletePicking my battles, Keith. But glad to see it looking like Greensboro's ordinances are going to be brought in line with every other municipality in the state.
no problem roch , just thought I would ask, it is amazing that 2 people from out of town have stirred up a lot of buzz for greensboro from me and ben holder but we are both whirlies.
ReplyDelete