Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Modern Native American Music

I've been continuing my exploration of musical genres unfamiliar to me. My previous foray was into Goa/Psy/trance (without the drugs, thank you). Recently I've discovered an "online station" called In Tune With Spirit. It is music inspired by (mostly) western indigenous cultures, northern and southern hemispheres. Included in the mix is a hefty dose of modern American Indian pieces. Some of it is bad, it sounds like the worst of Holiday Inn lounge band influenced by Spaghetti Western soundtracks (think "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" meets Kenny G). Much of it is really good though: Organic, genuine and moving.

Tune in here (choose your player, top left, under "live radio"). Don't say I didn't warn you--you'll get a dose of schlock--but the good stuff, especially if you've never heard it before, is worth the rough patches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...