Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Maybe there is hope yet

I pulled my vote against the constitutional amendment sign from my yard this morning and went and held it at the entrance to my polling place, Lawndale Baptist Church. When it comes to voting, the neighborhood leans slightly conservative, but it usually doesn't go in a majority for extremes in either direction.

So I was pleasantly surprised at the reaction I got. Those who openly shared their opposition to the amendment significantly outnumbered those who said nothing or who made it clear they disagreed with me. What surprised me was the number of elderly people, those who one might suspect to be bound to old ways, who said they were voting against the amendment.

It's just anecdotal, I know, and a minute sample at that, but maybe there is a chance the amendment will be defeated. If it is, it will be by the slimmest of margins, so if you oppose it and haven't voted out of despair or resignation, don't give up yet.

Vote.

[If it passes by one vote, I'll hate myself for assisting the lady who pulled up to park, waived me over, told me she believed marriage is "between a man and a woman," then asked me if I would mind going inside to get a poll worker so she could vote from her car on account of her bad legs. Which I did, of course.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...