Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Get me a rewrite!

I'm reading the first draft of the Back to the Future screenplay, the one in which Marty McFly is a pot-smoking video-bootlegger, Doc Brown has a pet monkey and there is no DeLoreon. Time travel is accomplished by a convolution of various equipment. Instead of syncing Marty's trip back to the future with the gigawat lighting strike on the clock tower, the duo scheme to tap into the energy of an above ground nuclear test.

I kid you not.

There is a lot that is familiar: Biff, some of the gags playing on the cultural, fashion and slang differences between the 1950's and the present (which is to say, 1985), mom's crush on Marty and the general plot of the young time traveler, despite Doc's warnings, intervening to assure that his parents get together.

It's strange though to read the origins of something quite familiar and find it so different from the final production.

1 comment:

  1. I know one of the rewrite was using a refrigerator for the time machine...

    Which is a bit Doctor Whoish....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...