Earth to JR: conventional wisdom ain't working. How about not caring so much about the trade mags you read, the industry reps you entertain and the junkets you attend?Jeff Martin delivers it straight to News & Record editor John Robinson. I'd given up, but the exchange is a reminder of the opportunities squandered by the misdirected efforts of the leaders at the local paper.
Thanks. I don't know how much good I was able to do. I really wanted to go off on him, but kept it civil, lest I lose his ear.
ReplyDeleteOf course the obvious point here that no one has made, is "real" journalists look down on bloggers. (Not JR, but the "staff" might [cringe]) The news industry is one, like many, where dues must be paid.
ReplyDeleteI mean, God forbid, someone would have been forced to edit my mis-spelled, and grammatically incorrect words for publication.
I've got two editors working night and day on my next book, costing me a ton in Pop-Tarts, and we're still not ready to send it out for proof-reading.
Wait! I've gone off on a tangent...
I'll be completely honest, I haven't read the NR in ages... it bores me beyond belief, (There are of course exceptions.) and I can't quite justify the cost any more. I do suppose if there was content I wanted, or needed to have, it would be different... but I'm a rather eclectic sort of individual whose preferences and tastes would ignite a fire-storm of hell and damnation if the paper ever tried to lean towards my needs.
So in that respect... JR is saving our city from complete and tragic destruction. Thank you.
I've got two editors working night and day on my next book, costing me a ton in Pop-Tarts, and we're still not ready to send it out for proof-reading.
ReplyDeleteLOL.
Liv, you make me wonder why I even bother with him. It's obvious lots of people have already moved on. Perhaps the N&R is already an anachronism.