Work took me to the Howard Coble election-results-viewing-come-victory party last night (at the delicious Painted Plate). It was truly heartwarming to see the genuine love people have for Congressman Coble (my client) and his authentic reciprocation. It was also good to spend some time with other political gadflies and local bloggers.
One thing stood out though. Sometime after Howard Coble had entered the room to applause and delivered a brief victory speech and people had returned to their potstickers and wine, the room erupted with cheers again as loud and boisterous as they were for Howard. I looked to the door but was perplexed. It was just some young, casually dressed people walking into the room. I did not see the big deal.
Thanks to a subsequent introduction from Tony Wilkins, I learned that the crowd was cheering the arrival of Jon Hardister, the twenty-seven year-old who had just clinched the Republican nomination for NC House 57, the seat currently occupied by the quite likable Democrat Pricey Harrison.
I wish I had talked to Jon a little longer. From his web site, there are areas where our politics do not align well (I'm not in that district anyway), but once in a while a handshake with a few eye-to-eye words are enough to give one an impressive first take. So it was in meeting Jon Hardister. Watch for him to make a real race of it in the 57th.
No comments:
Post a Comment