Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Obama's VP: I think it will be Clinton

I'm not very good at political prognostications. Although I was impressively close (impressive to me) in predicting Obama's margin of victory in the North Carolina primary, I am as often wrong as I am right in guessing political outcomes. Now that I've covered my ass, I think Obama will pick Hillary Clinton as his running mate.

I like Biden, Dodd and Richardson, they and Hillary all have things to offer that meet the test of conventional wisdom about what would make a good VP. But here is what I see as the bottom line: Winning (with someone who shares Obama's goals).

I think Obama is sincere when he says that his primary consideration will be to pick someone who is qualified to be president. Either of these four qualifies. Of equal importance though is to maximize Obama's chances of winning in November. There, Clinton is the superior choice. Sure, Obama can still win with another running mate, and sure, he'll have to face the prospect of managing Bill Clinton if he picks Hillary, but as a simple matter of winning, an Obama/Clinton ticket would be a juggernaut.

1 comment:

  1. Check out this collection of Obama VP videos, it's got clips from Biden, Bayh, Kaine and Sebelius as well as other commentary.

    http://www.redux.com/playlist/obama_vice_president

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...