Sunday, August 10, 2008

Are punching and kicking part of GPD's arrest techniques?

Timothy X video tapes a Greensboro police officer punching a suspect in the head and kicking him in the stomach (hat tip: Greensboring). It is very clear that the suspect is not complying with the officers' commands, but seriously, are the GPD not trained in techniques for apprehending a suspect that do not include punching and kicking?

14 comments:

  1. Yeah, it seems as though it could have been handled better. I'm not saying the cops did anything wrong, but certainly they could have with the proper training subdued the villain without all the drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously, if a suspect is resisting arrest, force will have to be employed. But punching and kicking do more than create drama (although, that too), they call into question the professionalism of the police.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not about to make a case for the police officer but would like to point out that police are more likely the behave in this way when the departments they work in are less than adequately staffed or funded.

    And is public knowledge that GPD is woefully lacking in both areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cops behavior and language was despicable! I didn't see the man they were trying to get to the ground do anything to deserve punching and kicking. He wasn't as far as I could see doing any thing violent. BB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps they should fan the suspect, feed him grapes, and bathe him in coconut milk while playing a little soft jazz.
    Some sound a little Lorraineish Ahearnish here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why don't we just cut to the chase, Tony. You think punching and kicking a suspect is OK for police?

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was on the force, a billyclub to the teeth worked wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another rush to judgement, Wray style? Pictures may not tell the full story: let's wait until an investigation reveals the full story.

    Police work in a hostile environment night and day, and ought to approach dangerous situations in anticipation of the unexpected; particularly in confrontations with dangerous individuals. Personally, I prefer roughing up a felon to having an officer assaulted or murdered. I recall a road stop of I95 several years ago when a state trooper and deputy sheriff attempted to apprehend two men fleeing from a crime scene in South Carolina. Force was not used to subdue the two individuals, and unfortunatlely both officers were murdered.

    The recent Greensboro arrest is not about police brutality. We can be thankful for the officers who put their lives on the line day in and day out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Roch, I do.
    I'm much more concerned about the safety of heroic officers who are trying to protect us.
    One way to avoid a punch or kick or billy club or taser is to not resist arrest and to follow an officer's instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill,

    The comparison to the Wray affair is a stretch not even worthy of consideration. There is no explicit or implied racism in concerns about the actions of the police officers.

    Bill and Tony,
    The officer was venting his frustration. To defend his actions as necessary to subdue the subject is to simply ignore the reality before your eyes: That his actions did nothing to subdue the subject. In fact, his actions perpetuated a dangerous situation. Why defend that? Does it just feel good to watch a thug getting beat up?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You ask for a comment - well here it is - My first action would have been to have tasered him when he failed to followed reasonable efforts to have arrested him and then I would have tasered the women cussing in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  12. GPD has completed its investigation of the incident? Roch, do you accept the explanation given by Captain Holder?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bill,

    I have been out of town and have not seen any information about an investigation of this incident. If you can point me to an online resource, I'd be interested to take a look.

    Anonymous, thank you for reminding us that some people think the role of police should be expanded to include meting out punishment for speaking out in an objectionable way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bill,

    I found the GPD statement online. It certainly fills in some of the blanks. It leaves some matters un-addressed (like the punches to the head.) My bottom line: I remain bothered by the inability of two officers to subdue the suspect. Their actions may have been justified, but they weren't effective.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...