Monday, June 16, 2014

Hyping minor achievements

GREENSBORO, NC -- When did we start pretending that minor achievements deserve the same recognition as major accomplishments? Two examples from this past few days: The area's fifth grade "graduations," and the Greensboro Grasshoppers "winning" the "first half" pennant.

Graduation is for granting a diploma or degree and a baseball pennant is for the winner of a league's season. What's next? Kindergarten graduation and a fifth inning pennant?

2 comments:

  1. Actually local public school kindergartens do have graduation ceremonies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kindergartens do indeed have graduations, of a sort. I'm attending one on Wednesday, which my son's school is calling a Moving Up ceremony.

    As for the Grasshoppers' first-half pennant, it clinches them a spot in the playoffs at the end of the season. So it's not an empty accomplishment, as such things go.

    I think Roch just felt crabby today. I'll be sure to stay off his lawn.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...