Thursday, June 12, 2014

Greensboro Police Department public records malarkey

UPDATE (June 13th): The GPD has released a version of the accident report.

UPDATE II (June 13th): In reviewing the history of this request with city staff, it appears as if some confusion was caused by the request for an accident report being translated into a request for an incident report along the way. City staff explain that the accident report was begun on June 8, completed on June 11, and made public after review and approval by a supervisor.

GREENSBORO, NC -- The Greensboro Police (GPD) reported by press release of a collision between a pedestrian and a vehicle on Bryan Boulevard on Sunday, June 8th. As I wrote yesterday, the accident report was missing from the GPD's online database of accident reports so I requested it directly from the city.

Yesterday, I received a document specifically manufactured to respond to my request. It is not an accident report and was created an hour after yesterday's blog post wondering where the accident report is. Now we not only continue to wonder where the actual accident report is but we also need to know why it is being withheld and whose idea it was to fabricate a record in response to my request for it.

Here is a real accident report, from another accident on the same day as the Bryan Boulevard collision. You will notice it is three pages of great detail on a standard form (click to enlarge):



Here is the "report" the police created in response to my request for the Bryan Boulevard accident report (click to enlarge) :


1 comment:

  1. It makes no sense at all for there to be no incident/accident report at the P2C site. Even if they are withholding release of name due to investigation or notification of next of kin, the P2C reports are full of blank spaces or "name withheld" in such instances.

    Of course I have heard many complaints from others that this happens on a regular basis but yours is the best documentation I've seen to date that it does go one.

    Some people have speculated to me that this happens when the Feds are somehow involved but that really is speculation as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...