Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Target breaks its website for the sake of spying

I use an add-on to my Firefox web browser called Ghostery, it allows me to block third parties from tracking my web usage. It does this by prohibiting them from installing tracking cookies on my computer.

My computer will allow websites to install cookies from their domain, it does not allow cross domain tracking (WebMD cannot tell Walgreens what I've been looking at there). That's unacceptable to Target.

Unless I accept cookies from consumer monitoring companies ForeSee, Gomez, Omniture, Google Adsense, DoubleClick and RichRelevance, I'm not welcome to use Target's website:


I have no interest in uninvited third parties collecting information about my "purchase histories and browsing behavior" (as RichRelevance brags is its purpose).

Target insists.

No big deal, I'll check Dick's Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain, Walmart, the Sports Authority and K-mart, all of whom offer what I'm looking for and none of whom break their websites for those of us who don't want to be monitored.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...