Friday, June 04, 2010

"He brained that n_ _ _ _ _"

(Greensboro, NC) Hickory Trails apartments.

"He brained that n_ _ _ _ _." (1:26)






Why that word?

8 comments:

  1. Look for the perp who threw the first punch to get arrested based on this video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all don't BEHAVE like that.

    Just wanted to put that disclaimer out there considering the environment of Greensboro's blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And WE don't all THINK like that. Just putting it out there considering the mentality of commenters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not post this video to make a sweeping generalization about any group of people. There is a proliferation of the use of the n-word as a casual insult among young black people that implies an ignorance of the historical significance of the word. I find that disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roch, I also find it disturbing. I have some friends from Mexico and Vietnam that use the world frequently. I told them that considering the history of the word, it shouldn't be used by anyone. I was told that since I am a white man that I am prohibited from using the word but that there is nothing wrong about non-whites using the word. I don't know man, I really think my skin just prevents me from "getting it", or understanding why folks would say such things to each other. From reading Joel Chandler Harris, it is evident one of the reasons that black folks began calling themselves that word is because that is how white-slave owners referred to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard that "explanation" too, Brandon. It is also a view borne of ignorance. Anybody who thinks a word is going to stay off limits to a certain race for long is kidding themselves. It will only be a matter of time before white people start using it again if this persists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roch, I'm afraid you are right. I also know of white folks who see nothing wrong with the word anymore simply because of its widespread use in mainstream culture. Of course, being white I can honestly say that no white man uses that word as a term of endearment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bigger guy's got no ground game at all. The fitter shirtless guy can't throw a jab to save his life, but at least he knows some ground-n-pound.

    And yes, the use of the word is disturbing, especially from capering, grinning children.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...