Wednesday, June 17, 2009

More ignorance as justification for broken opinions

An anonymous commenter on my post about the Greensboro city council's statement of regret over the violent events of November 3, 1979 wrote this:
The only action due here is for the people who are still here that on that day 30 years ago that participated and represented the CWP and the KLAN to apologize to the people of Guilford Co. The CWP planned the "Death to mthe Klan" march/rally knowing quite well the Klan would most probably respond, and apparently the Klan was game to do just that. Also, who fired the first shot, certainly not Mr Johnson as it's documented that he was hidding under his car, all of the stories I heard was the CWP people fired the first shot. So why should we apologize to them when it should be the other way around. What a joke..........
Pseudonymous commenter Cheripicker, applauds this comment as "common sense and independent thought..."

Except it's not. It is another unfortunate and increasingly common example of local people using their ignorance as justification for untenable opinions: "I'm right because I am ignorant of the things that make me wrong."

The FACT is that, as part of the derided Truth and Reconciliation process, Nelson Johnson did the very thing the uninformed anonymous commenter says has not happened. Included in Johnson's 35-page written statement is a section called "Regrets, Self-Criticisms and Apologies" in which he expresses his regrets and self-criticisms and apologizes.

.

10 comments:

  1. Pseudonymous commenter Cheripicker, applauds this comment as "common sense and independent thought..."

    I agree with Cheripicker completely. Roch there were several eye witnesses to what occurred in 1979, but it seems you exclusively rely and take verbatum the testimony from Nelson Johnson, now who's the ignoramous here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Your comment speaks for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having trouble finding footage of the city council meeting where Nelson Johnson expresses regret for staging a shootout in Greensboro. I couldn't find a statement of regret for staging the shootout in the 35 page written statement either.

    --brandonB

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Staging the shootout?"

    Yeah, you won't find him apologizing for breaking up the Beetles either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He brought guns to a rally he had challenged his enemies to show up at. Admitting to plotting to bringing in "a few" concealled weapons and then turning around and calling it a peace march "because I brought my children" just doesn't fly. I respected the fact that he wanted to get it all out in the open but his statement is chock full of lame justifications for bringing guns, bashing the police, and not participating in the trial(because he lacked facts). He is clearly not accepting responsibility for challenging the klan to a shootout, which is what occured. There was no peace march. Maybe others who weren't involved with the police or the China Grove incident expected a peace march, but they were mislead. I was expecting truth and reconciliation and I was misled.

    --brandonB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what would happen if I were to hold a death to the crips march? Or a death to the latin kings march, and then went on news2and stated that they wont show up because they are cowards.

    --brandonB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandon, the level of your analysis is over my head. I'll have to leave you alone to claim your superior understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brandon, despite our differences on a lot of things, you are the freshest thing going on in the GSO blogosphere right now. I hope you read my (long) comment to you at Spag's blog. My only other advice, which you don't appear to need, when you get the kind of response above to the clear points and questions that you have thoughtfully put forth, you can take that "I'll pass" response at face value despite the sarcastic
    face-saving intent. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roch, no doubt, the klansmen who shot and killed people are on video and should be behind bars until the day they die. This didn't happen and it's a tragedy. Part of the reason it didn't happen is because Nelson and co. refused to participate in the state murder trials, Nelson says in his statement it was because he had nothing to add, "no facts". My beef is that Mr. Johnson refuses to truly reconcile with the role he played. There is not a doubt in my mind that he expected violence, he agreed to bring no guns, and then admits to smuggling in concealed weapons, he knew of the brandishing of firearms at China Grove. He knew he went on television and challenged the klan to come. Then he invites all the locals and their kids just to prove it was a peace march? Give me a break. When Mr. Johnson admits regret for the role he played in organizing the rally, he gets no respect from me with regard to the T&R process. On the other hand, I believe in the good work that the Beloved Community Center does, but that doesn't trump the facts of 1979 or the fact that Nelson Johnson refuses to accept responsibility. It was never intended to be a peace march, that's why both sides brought guns. To my knowledge, Ghandi and King never smuggled guns into their marches. Those were true peaceful warriors.

    --brandonB

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...