I'm looking around for a new desktop computer. I have some specific needs. Dell used to have a great website that allowed one to custom configure a computer, to add and remove features and options. It was great because one could see what an ideal machine would cost, then make adjustments that would change the price if one needed to bring it in line with a budget
It allowed people to dsicover, "Hey! I can afford a slightly larger hard drive" as much as "Hmm, I think I can get by with a little less RAM."
That's gone.
Now nearly all Dell machines are take-it-or-leave-it configurations. That means one cannot get a 2 terabyte hard drive in anything but the most expensive of their computers. HP and Lenovo, on the other hand, offer large hard drives in their mid-range computers - as an option — for the customer to decide along with a full range of options for RAM, processors, video cards, etc. As it should be.
Sorry Dell. Maybe next time.
I was thinking, they still let you customize; but after looking - you are right. Those are not choices! Those are software options. Still for basic business machines which I guess is their basic market, it's not bad. If you need something more, you are probably looking an an HP.
ReplyDeleteWhen my mother was shopping for a new desktop 6 or 8 months ago, Dell was the only place where you could still get Win7Pro rather than Win8. That alone convinced her to go with Dell. I can kind of get behind that, but then I'm not in the market for a desktop, myself.
ReplyDeleteBoth Lenovo and HP offer desktops with Win7. You might have to look at their business models.
ReplyDelete