GREENSBORO, NC -- How much money has district 2 City Council representative Jim Kee received from William M. Kotis of Kotis Properties? There are discrepancies in Kee's campaign finance reports that raise questions.
According to Kee's latest filing, he has received an aggregated total of $4,000 in contributions from Kotis for this election, the legal allowable maximum. But only a single $500 contribution in September of this year is itemized in any of Kee's reports for this election cycle. When and for how much were the other contributions and do they, in fact, add up to only $4,000?
I emailed Kee yesterday morning to ask for clarification. He has not replied. Should I get a response, I will post an update here.
Typical for Key...
ReplyDeleteRoch-
ReplyDeleteI've contributed nowhere near that amount in this election to Jim Kee. I've contributed $500 plus some billboard spots (valued at a few hundred bucks retail).
The online reports must be picking up prior elections or something.
Mk
Marty, thanks for commenting. Clicking on the link, you will see the record is a copy of Kee's original filing, signed by his campaign treasurer.
ReplyDeleteThe billboard contributions are reported in a subsequent filing but are attributed to your father and are not accrued to your aggregated total.
Were the billboard contributions from you, as you wrote, or from your father, as Kee reports? And why does Kee report $4,000 from you when you dispute that? There are probably perfectly good answers, but these are questions Kee should answer and I don't know why he has chosen not to.
I like in report how David hoggard is listed as job profession advertising, hilarious
ReplyDeleteI've previously contacted Jim's team and asked them to look into the online error. I was made aware of it in a phone call from them and asked them to contact BOE and get it straightened out. The reports reflect my contributions, but the 4K from the online filing is not correct (apparently that is something that the election software autofills - and in this case it's not pulling the right number). I don't know where the 4K is coming from. My only contributions to him were $500 in this election as well as some billboard stuff as I mentioned above (as I said - a few hundred at most). I think the error is in their electronic filing software. As to the names, my name is William Kotis. The contributions were from me. I haven't tried to hide anything - any suggestion to the contrary is kind of insulting. If you think I've violated any laws, call the police, BOE, SBI, etc. If you can take the time to write a blog post and disparage me online - redirect that energy to actually contacting BOE and opening a case. Simply posting on your blog makes you seem like someone that really isn't interested in finding out the truth or solving the problem.
ReplyDeleteI think you might be suffering from Premature Accusation.
I mean, do you really think there's something nefarious here? I don't hide behind a PAC. Why continue to pick on me?
Since I've taken the time to answer your questions - how about answering a couple of mine:
1. Which candidates are you supporting in this year's elections and specifically what have you done to help them, i.e., In kind, advice, get out the vote, etc.
2. Who did you vote for in the last couple of elections and who do you plan to vote for in this one?
Also - it looks like the reports were received by BOE on 10/28 - so I'm guessing they were posted online maybe within 24 hours of when you made this post on 11/1.
ReplyDeleteI'd suggest rather than rushing to create a story, you take the time to get information/answers from those involved and BOE before hurling accusations online.
That goes back to a comment I've made earlier about making statements without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement.
It appears you've taken on George's strategy of putting a question mark at the end of your comments/questions?
Marty wrote: "The contributions were from me. I haven't tried to hide anything - any suggestion to the contrary is kind of insulting."
ReplyDeleteMarty, when you come before council to request public largess to benefit your business and also make campaign contributions to those making the decisions about whether or not to grant you public funds, we, the public, have a right to scrutinize. So stop whining and trying to play the victim. It's unseemly.
The report is signed by Kee's treasurer. These are not wild accusations or speculation. They are observations of information contained in an official document approved by Kee. As for how one should react to noticing questionable information, you seem to have missed the part in my original post where I said that I asked Kee for clarification before even writing this post and that he did not respond (he still hasn't responded). Your agitation is misdirected.
Kee's reports identify a William M. Kotis III, CEO of Kotis Properties as having made a $500 cash contribution on 9/20/2014 for an aggregated total of $4,000.
Kee also reports an in-kind contribution of $200.07 dollars for a billboard from the founder of Kotis properties, William Kotis.
If there is something there that is inaccurate, don't blame the people who notice the discrepancies. We have a right to accurate reports and the candidate and his donors have a legal obligation to provide them. Instead of demanding to know who I've voted for (really?), why don't you demand better from the candidates you support?
Correction: the date above is 9/20/2013
ReplyDeleteI guess you aren't going to answer the questions I asked of you. Why is that?
ReplyDeleteYou have a strange understanding of democracy, Marty, if you think this kind of discussion entitles you to know for whom I've voted.
ReplyDelete