Whether Kotis was using that phrase innocently or to intimidate, I cannot say. I know that there are a number of factors that would make an accusation of defamation hard to stick: I was relying on the records and reporting of public offices and a news outlet; my assertions were opinionated characterizations; supposed facts that would contradict my opinion where not known to me; Kotis suffered no damages because of what I wrote; Kotis has become a figure of public interest because of him seeking (and being awarded) over a million dollars in public largess from the City of Greensboro in the past year alone; and I have already changed the unsubstantiated portions of my post.
Nonetheless, an apology to Mr. Kotis might calm him down and avoid trouble.
To heck with that.
I'm apologizing to Mr. Kotis, not because he has taken to using language that might suggest he is contemplating legal action, I'm apologizing because it's the right thing to do to live up to the standards I've set for myself.
When the News & Record published a story in which they allowed a public official to make a false allegation of criminality against me, without comparing it to the facts and without giving me the opportunity to comment, I came to know what it is like to feel like you've not been given a fair shake. To have something published about you that you think is unfair is dehumanizing.
I cannot be like them.
When an editor at the News & Record (who happened to also be an acquaintance) told the reporter of the story not to talk to me about it and the reporter complied; when the editor in chief refused to respond to my concerns and the publisher told me what happened was "standard operating procedure," it was all very frustrating.
I cannot be like them.
When I see local government officials hem and haw, equivocate and dissemble for the sake of avoiding accountability; when truth and accuracy are buried under mountains of mendacious malarkey by people supposedly working in the public interest, I find it pathetic.
I cannot be like them.
When I see, over and over again, local media jumping to conclusions, sensationalizing, getting the facts wrong and making unsubstantiated assertions without acknowledging or correcting them even when brought to their attention—a consistent theme of this blog— it disgusts me.
I cannot be like them.
I'll keep my opinions about the propriety of elected officials deciding the fate of hundreds of thousands of dollars in public funds while accepting campaign donations from the recipient of those public monies and the record remains incomplete to document the nature of Kotis' contributions, but the portions of my post where I characterized matters in a manner that made unfounded assumptions, that was not giving Mr. Kotis a fair shake. For that, I apologize.
Roch-
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for saying you recklessly disregarded the truth. I read your blog and your aggregator blog on a regular basis. I've seen you hold others to a high standard and ask them not to lob accusations unless they can back them up.
So when you appeared to accused me of basically receiving ill gotten gains from political contributions, I was extremely offended. On any matter that we've had before the city - I'd encourage you to first compare our treatment with anyone else. Look into sewer extensions, annexations, zonings, road closures and economic development loans - and you'll quickly realize that we have not received any preferential treatment.
I'd also encourage you to look at the sheer amount of investment, jobs and development we Choose to do in Greensboro. If it seems like I'm coming before council a lot, it's because I'm investing millions in Greensboro each year. This year we'll bring hundreds of jobs to Greensboro, which makes me feel good because I'm a lifelong resident.
That's why your comments were especially hurtful.
Marty Kotis
Thanks, Marty.
ReplyDelete"So when you appeared to accused me of basically receiving ill gotten gains from political contributions"
This is why I'm looking forward to that cup of coffee, so we can better understand where we are coming from.
What I thought might have been untoward, actually, was the contributions that didn't get (haven't yet) been reported (the candidate's responsibility) and that contributions may be coming from a corporation. Both of those are, I think, statutory offenses, which is to say, not criminal, but against the law (don't hold me to that, but that's my recollection).
As for the ethics of the contributions, I think, if you'll reread what I wrote, it's pretty clear that I'm putting the ethical responsibility on the candidates: even if it's just for appearance's sake, they shouldn't take contributions from people with current, recent or upcoming business with the Council. But that is also just my opinion. It's legal to do so no matter how bad it looks.
Roch-
ReplyDeleteThanks - feel free to call me anytime at 336-574-2000 and we'll schedule that drink.
Marty