Monday, January 21, 2013

Excuse me, I Twarted™*

Why do people share things on the Internet? Is it because they have made, thought or captured something truly worth sharing or is it because sharing something— anything—no matter how insignificant or meaningless, makes one feel significant?

It's not that I think everything should be some masterwork of creative genius. The Tweets that tell us Justin Bieber changed your life are not terrible really (they remind us, in few words, of the power of music and the optimism of youth), but intentionally degraded photos without any subject or sense of composition, cell phone video that sounds like it's coming from some not-tuned-in A.M. radio station playing through the blown speakers of a 1972 Gremlin, vapid statements of the obvious and thirteen minutes of "and then...", "and then...", "and then..." telling us about your day, starting with, "So I woke up," are just drivel.

If you're posting such twaddle, is it because you are unable to recognize or create quality or is it because you are so insecure that the point is not what you post, but to post anything in a desperate hope that you won't be insignificant?

* Twart: A Tweet or other social media post as welcomed and interesting as the emission of bodily gas.

3 comments:

  1. Your deadpan delivery almost fooled me, but then I got the joke. A blog rant about people putting dumb stuff on Twitter and Instagram is irony, defined, which makes my comment on it even dumber by definition, which is awesome.

    Bonus points satirizing you own blog aggregator by pinning it to the top. A man should always be able to laugh at himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ed for defending the mediocre and chastising those who try to raise the bar. We will always remember you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you just upset because I've yet to write about you in Wackemall.com or is there really something bothering you? Don't worry, I won't leave you out. As for Ed Cone, he might end up playing a short Grey Alien.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...