Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Small

(Greensboro, NC) News & Record editor John Robinson writes a blog post singing the praises of departing columnist Lorraine Ahearn. Unlike all his other blog posts, comments on this one are disabled.

15 comments:

  1. Comments are closed because I've learned that whenever I write about Lorraine, the people who believe she's the devil and responsible for many of the ills of our police department leave offensive and libelous comments about her.

    I have a busy day and don't have the time to monitor them. Besides, again based on my experience, there is little constructive discussion that results.

    Why, did you want to comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is, well, as I wrote, a small-minded view for a newspaper editor to take, but thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always felt she was a great columnist. I am also of the opinion that what she did with "Black ops on black cop" was out of bounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One area that I agree with Roch on. If people are making libelous comments about her, she can sue.

    The fact is much of the criticism is legitimate and there is a reason people may have strong feelings about her.

    It is small as Roch suggests and an obvious attempt to prevent criticism.

    Newspapers that don't answer their critics are no better than politicians who don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...John Robinson writes a blog post singing the praises of departing columnist Lorraine Ahearn..."

    I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments, folks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, Sam. The N&R has never responsibly addressed how it handled the "black book" stories. JR avoided addressing specifics with a general dismissal of the substance of criticism as unworthy -- he does the same thing above, saying he expects comments on his post to be hysterical, personal and libelous as a preemptive strike for having to even permit them to be seen.

    Something else I never noticed until a friend brought it up last night: Reporter Margaret Banks was doing some investigative digging and, on February 5th, 2008, she starts to get to a significant part of the truth when a records request reveals the existence of documents that contradict the narrative the N&R had painted to that point. Days later, gets taken off the city beat and promoted to assistant sports editor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why is it small not to give a forum to those who want to tear down people with unfounded criticism and personal attacks?

    Sam, you say that if it's libelous, she can sue. (Spoken like a lawyer. :))

    It prevents criticism or is a preemptive strike? Let's see, this paper is routinely and regularly criticized in the Rhino and in half a dozen blogs, including this one. I suppose there are blogs in addition to this one that is starting on the criticism. I think there are plenty of places to rehash the wrongs you think she and we have inflicted upon Greensboro.

    So, you don't like Lorraine and think that we did wrong. OK. I've heard that for years now. To suggest that I haven't heard the criticism or don't want to hear it is silly and wrong. I simply don't agree with it. You don't agree with me. I can accept that. At any given time, half the people who read the paper don't agree.

    Back to the point, I open the thread and for the umpteenth time people come and insult me and Lorraine for stuff that is, what, three or four years old. Been there many times already. I see no constructive purpose. But if there is one, I'm sure it'll come up on a blog.

    Finally, Roch, with your last comment, I'm starting to think that you're seeing black helicopters hovering about. I do appreciate, though, that you're still talking about it, as I'm sure Margaret appreciates the idea that she was moved for a reason other than her merits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is highly appropriate for John to report that Lorraine is moving on. I think it is an exciting move for Lorraine to make and I wish her much success. For John to disable comments makes sense to me. I think he's stated it well. Few would make positive comments. What they would do is the same thing they've continued to do: Rehash the same old thing, over and over and over and over.

    Move on guys. Lorraine's gone. Time to pick on something else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a story about Ms Ahearn that probably jr doesn't know about and very few others either. Happened in the early 1990s when she was covering a police hearing in Greensboro's City Hall. Being the investigating whiz she is she found the officer involved in the hearing's mother's phone number in another city. Being one to "comfort the afflicted" she called the officer's mother to find out what she thought of her son and the situation he was in. Well, the mom was on her death bed at the time. Of course, that didn't bother nor stop "comfort the afflicted" Ahearn, she didn't back off and went right on about her job to get to the story no matter what and even if there was no story. I learned what Ms. Ahearn was during that time and nothing has changed that I can see since then.

    Her gig was to make the news instead of reporting it. That is what she did when she invented the black book and jr, old buddy, you allowed it and knew better. You can say this is old news but if you will look in your own paper the last couple of days, you will see the effects of her and your actions still being felt in our community.

    Glad she is gone doesn't even begin to express my thoughts. If you were wondering, no, it wasn't my mom. However, I knew her and she was a wonderful lady who deserved much better than what she got from "speaking for the underdog" Ahearn. Oh, the officer involved was one of the finest officers I have ever had the pleasure to be around. Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. IT will be "behind us" when the N&R comes clean. They never have answered the questions.

    John's "blame the Rhino" defense is predictable and petty.

    Yes, it's John Hammer's fault that the N&R can't answer questions about their reporting.

    Maybe it's time for more people from the N&R to move on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The News & Record reported "investigators" as saying the "black book" was shown to every prostitute and junkie in Guilford county to get something on black officers. That was a reporter's distortion as originally reported to begin with, yet it became a foundation for the N&R's narrative. The N&R reported Chief Bellamy as saying that he could find no records of a legitimate reason for making the line-up book and...

    John Robinson: "The black book...let's see...I know that we reported Mitch Johnson saying that investigators reported there were numerous instances of the book being shown to criminal defendants in an attempt to target black officers."

    But facts surfaced that contradicted that narrative and those officials; facts such as Margaret Banks (an excellent reporter, JR's insinuation of my opinion of her not withstanding) discovering that documents existed that legitimized the line-up book and the City Manager swearing under oath that he had no evidence of line-up book every being used for illegitimate purposes.

    The facts contradicted the N&R's original reporting of the nature and purpose of the black book and its portrayal by public figures, yet the existence of the CAD reports was never reported and Johnson's admission was obscured and buried in an article in a context of he said/she said where, instead of juxtaposing his admissions against his original assertions and the N&R's original reporting, they were lined up against Sam Spagnola's opinion.

    Despite these failings, JR insists on brushing them away as disagreements, preferring to impugn the intentions of those who notice and belittle the media in which they notice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dee, you mean to tell me Ahearn has done this all before?? How come that wasn't in the Rhino Times? Or did I miss that part?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous, this story has never been told before. It was not told since the gentleman from Randolph County and Mr. Hammer in the Rhino were doing such an excellent job of pointing out very clearly her method of doing business. This method is as stated, making the news instead of reporting it.

    In addition, she embellishes the event to create the most possible damage to the men and women of the GPD. In this regard, she does this very well.

    What she and jr concocted or approved caused tremendous damage to some very fine officers' lives, damaged the reputation of the agency in the law enforcement community, and caused untold amounts of damage to the City proper.

    They did it and have never acknowledged their part in it. They did it simply because they could and that is what they do. Sort of interesting is the fact that Ahearn is finally out the door and the N&R is losing readership almost daily. The Good Book talks a great deal about sowing and reaping. Maybe this is a good example of that taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good damned riddance!
    She is the reason the police department is where it is today, along with mich johnson.
    Unless they ever come clean...may they waller' in the same trough together!
    Same for the news and record!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...