Thursday, November 19, 2009

On year, smoke free

I quit smoking a year ago. Although I was not a life-long smoker, I smoked more often than not as an adult and the addiction seemed to have a firm hold for the past ten years or so. I never stopped wanting to quit, but the prospect just seemed more and more unlikely as time went by -- until I tried Chantix.

Friends have reported unpleasant side effects--nightmares and feeling "strange"--but for me, the only effect was that I simply did not want a cigarette. No cravings, no "high" (or "low"), just a sense of returning to normal. After twelve or so smoke-free weeks, I stopped the Chantix. I have not had a single smoke, or even bummed a puff since -- I haven't even been tempted. If you don't smoke, you'll shrug. If you smoke, you'll appreciate how remarkable the complete elimination of the craving is.

If you smoke and you want to quit, there may be any number of ways to do so. I found Chantix to be phenomenally effective.

8 comments:

  1. Roch: Way to go. I quit in 2002 and it was the hardest thing, but I got through it.

    Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smoked my last cigarette in June of 2008, thanks to Chantix. Chantix made quitting, for me, very easy, no cravings, and fortunately nor side affects to the medication itself. Beau

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, great news. Chantix worked for my step-father.

    --Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Roch. I've been working on it for a few weeks and plan on doing the whole regimen after 25 years of smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I smoked 4 packs a day until 1993 and agree that you have to want to quit.

    Congrats!

    side note--- Have you heard that arthritis and smoking are connected?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...