Monday, November 02, 2009

Just make it as hard for me as you can to vote for Bill Knight, why doncha?

I am an unaffiliated voter (registered as neither Democrat or Republican). I switched from Democrat in 2002 when there was a Republican running for local office for whom I wanted to vote in the Republican primary. (Unaffiliated voters in North Carolina can pick a party's primary in which to vote.)

Two years ago, I voted for Yvonne Johnson for mayor. While there is no doubt she has some good things going for her, she hasn't lived up to my expectations.

In general, she doesn't seem too "on the ball." I have been sorely disappointed in her lack of (public) curiosity towards the "black book," for example, and what it did or did not imply and her lack of any leadership in taking the public to a reality-based understanding of that issue. (Her comment that, if we are going to have a book "like that" for black officers, there should be one for white officers too is illustrative of her confusion.) She has either lacked the intellectual curiosity herself to get to the bottom of things or, if she does understand now, she has not seen the need to correct the perceptions she previously publicly painted.

She has, like other city council members, said all the right things about transparency, then proved to be impotent in doing anything about it.

She said six months ago that she was personally going to recruit a broadband internet provider to compete with Time Warner Cable and apparently has not yet succeeded, but I do not know of the status because she declined to answer my email inquiries about her progress.

So no egregious missteps or bad intentions by Mayor Johnson, just a lackadasical term that has someone like me thinking we can do better. Thus I take a serious look at Bill Knight, but some of his supporters sure make it hard to want to touch the screen for him.

Jordan Green at Yes!Weekly transcribes this from a recent press release by Bill Wright, the chairman of the Guilford County Republic Party:
"The Democrat controlled city council and legislature operate under the same ideals of an ever expanding government, higher taxes and more infringement into individual freedom and property rights. Yes, the awakened voters of Greensboro have sent a chill rushing through the Democrat council candidates and the prospect of losing control of the Greensboro City Council is real and frightening to the Democrat establishment with their feeling of entitlement."
There is enough of the "right" language in there to make a conservative giddy: The Rush inspired "Democrat" instead of the correct "Democratic" (for a party that wants to make English the official language, they sure are eager to abuse it), "expanding government," and "entitlement." Wright hits all the chords and that is exactly the kind of stuff I DO NOT want to see infused into local government: That unthinking ideological call to arms for the indoctrinated.

I would like a numbers guy (Knight is a retired C.P.A.) with the knowledge and desire to put the budget under a microscope. I think Knight is capable of actually reducing taxes without crazy pain and with a little luck. I'd like a guy who is willing to face facts, no matter where they may come from--Knight strikes me as naturally inquisitive.

But I want this guy to be this way because it is pragmatic to be so--a good way to govern for the best outcomes--not because he is out to start and win some ideological skirmish. Bill Wright has me nearly convinced that the election of Knight would be an ideological victory--I mean, he is plainly saying as much in his press release. I have no interest in voting to get that started. I have no interest in voting for what some hope will be an escalation of partisanship on council.

I have a real dilemma.

18 comments:

  1. Me too, and that's why I won't be voting for either mayoral candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, hope there will not be an escalation of partisanship on council.
    But Roch, you seem more irritated with the GOP's response than the original NCDP's involvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's true, Tony. The state Dems sent out a postcard listing the Democratic candidates. Not cool, but ignorable. It did not make me lean towards or away from Johnson.

    Wright responds with holy war rhetoric, and that gives me pause. Telling me I should not be bothered by Wright's screed because I was not bothered by the NCDP's postcard is ineffectual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: The grammatically incorrect "Democrat Party", is really annoying to me. Every time I hear or read it I think that the user is ignorant of the English language. (Good point on running roughshod over the "official language".

    Is there some nefarious reason for the habit that I have missed, or is it just plain ignorance and/or intended to annoy?

    It grates at me the same as someone who says, "that costs 26 CENT" or "I'm going to AXE him to stop". It's just wrong

    Should the Republican Party be called the Republic Party?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I understand what hyperbole is so I take your "real dilemma" about voting for Bill Knight to be mostly a figure of speech. If, on the other hand, the slightest whiff of support from the Republican party would really make you change your mind, you sound pretty committed to anyone with a D (figuratively) beside their name.

    Mayor Johnson has had long enough in a leadership role to demonstrate she is not going to be a catalyst for positive change over the next two years. It IS time for a change. I hope come tomorrow you will fully understand that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One can make a perfectly good case for the grammaticality of "Democrat party" on the basis of analogy: "I'm a Republican, and I belong to the Republican Party." "Doug Hoffman is a Conservative and belongs to the Conservative Party." So why not "Jerry is a Democrat and belongs to the Democrat Party?" If we want to call it the "Democratic Party," to be consistent, we should call its members "Democratics."

    But the "Democrat Party" usage is obviously aimed at taking away from Democrats the notion that they are somehow more democratic that Republicans.

    As to "ask" and "ax," read this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link, David. Still irks me, though.

    I see your point on the Democrat thing. Analogies are good and useful things. Still irks me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Preston, I am sincere. I am undecided but, again, thanks for adding to my concern that there is a strong current of ideological support for Knight that may not have room or understanding for unaffiliateds like me. Put another way, if Knight gets elected, I am worried it will be seen as an ideological referendum instead of just middle of the road people wanting a guy who will do a good job.

    ----

    Tony, yes. Wright's comments bother me more than the mailing. Please don't ask me to reduce my thinking to "One is Democratic, the other Republican, so I should react to both the same."

    There is meaningfully different content and context and, whether I can explain it to your satisfaction or not, the mailer had no effect on my decision-making whereas Wright's press release has.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Roch, I would hope the determining factor would be who would make the better mayor and not Wright's comments or the NCDP mailer.
    If you use that criteria I know who you'll be voting for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm farther to the edge than Hoggard and usually I respect the Professor, but the change from DemocratIC to Democratic was done by Republicans for a particular reason and for that, I will never vote for anyone who uses that word in what can only be called a blatant and partisan attempt to co-opt someone else's name.

    It's not the word itself, Dr. W, or your "butter wouldn't melt" denotation. It's the connotation and who "connotated" it - and why.

    Mr. Knight just lost my vote and anyone else I sway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roch wrote; "Preston, I am sincere. I am undecided but, again, thanks for adding to my concern that there is a strong current of ideological support for ..."
    -------------
    I didn't mean to question your sincerity, I meant to question your intelligence. (Lighten up, that's a joke.) I don't much follow local partisan politics so you are probably much better informed than I am, but I haven't seen or heard ANYTHING that Bill Knight has said that sounded partisan (Dem. vs Rep.) to me. He has stated that he would do a better job in a different manner than Mayor Johnson has, but I haven't sensed any partisan hint in his campaign at all. Are you aware of some other things that he has done that show a partisan bent?

    I believe the city council performs much better as a non-partisan body than the partisan county commissioners does (do?), and I'd hate to see partisan politics control the city council. I think Mayor Johnson would be much more partisan mayor than Mayor Knight would.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I will never vote for anyone who uses that word in what can only be called a blatant and partisan attempt to co-opt someone else's name."

    Sue, you sure are a passionate Democratic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sue, part of the problem for me is the degree to which I should let a candidate's supporters influence my opinion of that candidate. It was not Knight himself who used Democrat in place of Democratic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "I didn't mean to question your sincerity, I meant to question your intelligence" -- Preston

    Ah, well now on that I'll concede you may have a point. And to answer your question, no, I have not seen or heard anything particularly partisan from Knight. As I indicated to Sue above, it is not about the candidate himself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sue: "Mr. Knight just lost my vote and anyone else I sway."
    ------------
    Are you telling the truth, Sue? I figured Mr. Knight lost your vote (and anyone else you sway) the day Mayor Johnson announced her candidacy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Professor wrote, "Sue, you sure are a passionate Democratic!"

    Maybe. I'm passionate about a lot of things, one of which is language, use of it and co-option of same.

    It's incorrect usage and an attempt to redefine a group with another's label and it's a very old method of framing others. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...