Friday, July 17, 2009

Greensboro and Carroll company co-defendants in lawsuit

Keith Brown of Triadwatch learns that The City of Greensboro and one of developer Roy Carroll's companies are co-defendants in a lawsuit. More reason, as if it is needed, why the scrubbed plan to fly Greensboro mayor Yvonne Johnson and city staff to Washington, D.C. on Carroll's plane for free was inappropriate.

The suit, filed by Kotis Properties, alleges that Carroll plans to deny Kotis access to a public street by building a "reserve strip" that the city approved and defended.

The suit also alleges that the approval for this plan was "the result of Carroll's exertion of political influence over the planning staff, board members, and members of the Greensboro City Council."

Here is the complaint:

Kotis v. Greensboro & Horse Pen Creek Village

13 comments:

  1. Roch,
    Any confirmation that Mayor Johnson knew of this lawsuit?
    If so, the acceptance of the plane ride takes on new meaning, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony,

    I would like to confirm some information with Keith before answering, and I am unable to reach him at the moment. I'll keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony,

    I just talked to Keith. He says he saw, but did not copy, a summons to appear in court for this case to Yvonne Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with the docs. I might have to steal that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fec, I've emailed you the code to embed these documents on your blog or web site. If anybody else would like the code, post your email here and I'll send it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roch, I'd certainly be interested in your opinion on this.
    If the mayor knew of this lawsuit does that knowledge change the dynamics of the accepted plane ride?
    I'm trying to weigh the facts even with that association being co-defendants.
    Taxpayers shouldn't have to hire Columbo to learn of these associations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony, my opinion, even before knowing of this suit, was that it was inappropriate for an elected official to accept a free ride on a plane owned by someone whose business involves regularly seeking cooperation/approval from the city. Heck, I wouldn't even accept campaign contributions (as the mayor and some council members have) from such an individual. It's not that he's a bad dude, it's a matter of maintaining proper independence.

    What I find significant about the mayor possibly, probably, knowing that she had been summoned to testify is that, when asked to comment on the propriety of the free plane trip, she did not mention this entanglement with Carroll. If she knew of the suit and didn't mention it to keep it quite, that troubling. If she knew of the suit and didn't mention it because she didn't see the ethical problems, that's troubling too.

    When the mayor first became aware that the proposed free trip was aboard Carroll's plane, she should have said, "We have given him favors in the past for which he has ongoing obligations, he does business with the city that I am in a position to possibly have to adjudicate and I have been summoned to testify in a suit in which he and the city are defendants. It would be inappropriate for me to accept any largess from Mr. Carroll."

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're all just terrible people for continuing to impede the progress of the Business As Usual agenda in our fair city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mayor was the person who asked Carroll in the first place, right? Can you blame Carroll? I think any citizen would loan their car to the mayor if she said she wanted to go down to dc, would reimburse you, and come back with 15 million bucks for an education center. The council may have appreciated the ride such that they would have lent an ear to his concerns, but the guy has earned that right anyhow. He's brought in well over several hundred million dollars to our city. He turned a blighted vacant building into a marquee attraction. If he has a problem, he should have a direct line into the city. Why would we want to loose him or any other person who done so much for the city?

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you say in your post above, these are just allegations. Kotis has caused numerous issues with other developers in this city. there was a good article in the news and observer today which reported on the case. You should check it out. Kotis is upset of 4 feet of access. He doesn't want to share the costs of a public road that Carroll has offered to build nor does is he happy with the access that Carroll gave him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You shouldn't confirm anything with Keith. He shed's lies and misrepresentations like disease.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Namaste wrote: "The mayor was the person who asked Carroll in the first place, right?"

    I have not seen that reported anywhere. Can we stick to the facts? And I don't buy into your hyperbole that, somehow, demanding ethical responsibility from our leaders risks "losing" Roy Carrol. Your assertions are not grounded in the facts and illogical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "As you say in your post above, these are just allegations."

    I'm not sure to what you are referring, but we are dealing with facts reported by the press and substantiated by the words of those involved, more than allegations. As for Kotis, "But, but, but what about HIM!?!" is childish and a diversion from the situation at hand.

    As for Keith, if you have anything specific, please cite it, otherwise your whining here is really just tedious noise. Raise your game or go away -- you are tiresome and inconsequential.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...