Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Site Launch: CobleForCongress.com

[UPDATE: Some visitors may have still been seeing the old site this morning. That problem has been rectified and everybody should see the new site now.]

We launched Congressman Howard Coble's new campaign web site this morning. It was one of the most challenging and most engaging web site design projects I've done. It's a real professional joy when a project requires one to spread the creative wings.

This was the first project for which I shot and edited video (on the home page). Tom Lassiter's and Stewart Pittman's how-to session at ConvergeSouth was a great headstart.

We also incorporated a nifty news management system that allows people to self-subscribe to the campaign's email news announcements. On the back end, the system gives the campaign a one-stop method of sending news to supporters and/or the press and simultaneously publishing the announcement to the web site.

The interface makes good use of the Spry javascript framework, doing the kinds of things that I think good web sites do, like minimizing the need for page reloads to display user selections. I also included a great Google Maps mashup from GovTrack.us that allows people to explore Congressman Coble's district down to the street level. (I knew that I was in the thirteenth congressional district, but I didn't know that my neighbors across the street are in Howard's sixth.)

I thank Howard Coble and his friendly staff for the opportunity to work with them. And thanks to to Bill Knight for the referral.

6 comments:

  1. I like Howard, hopefully you can help him with some of his out-dated concepts about technology. His past stances on freedom on the Internet and copyright issues were so pre-Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks great Roch. Didn't know you were capable of such (especially for the GOP). I may be sending you another Congressional candidate over soon.
    You know Howard has his own "yellow". When we were ordering Larry Proctor yard signs the guy asked, "do you want regular yellow or Howard Coble yellow"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony,

    Thank you. Let me know if I can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don,

    I was shooting some pics and video at a ceremony at UNC-G on the occasion of Howard donating his papers to their library. He mentioned the Millennium Copyright Act while at the podium (in response to a joke during his introduction) and defended it as "good legislation." Frankly, I remember thinking it was flawed at the time, but didn't remember enough details to mention it to him.

    Regardless, one thing about Howard Coble is that he really is down-to-earth approachable. If you ever have a chance to meet him, you'd feel comfortable telling him your thoughts or you can use the Contact page on the new website to send him an email.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roch, I've put a link from the Guilford County GOP website to your new Coble for Congress site.
    http://www.guilfordcountygop.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Tony. Appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...